Jan-Ove Tuv gives his analysis of the portraits by Nicolai Fechin and compares them to works by the Russian-American’s contemporaries and older colleagues.
In this video you will learn about:
- Reflecting the background in the main character
- Separating forms by temperature instead of value
- Keeping solidity in a roughly painted portrait
- Dividing a form into multi-shapes to achieve volume
- How to pull off thick in the shadows, thin in the lights
- Why Munch and Boznanska are superior to Fechin
- How too much structure of paint can defeat the form
- What Chardin and Fechin have in common
- Varying between loose and tight outlines
- Fechin’s problemtatic handling of backgrounds
- Why Rembrandt takes the glory at the end of the day
▶️ Full video (21 min): https://www.patreon.com/posts/78270440
🎵 Full audio: https://caveofapelles.com/podcast
SHOUTOUT to our TOP SPONSORS!