The Conservator Method: Minimal Varnish on Your Oil Painting for Maximum Preservation
David Molesky demonstrates the proper way to varnish a painting, based on knowledge he received from a conservator.
What you need:
- Gamvar (https://www.lawrence.co.uk/gamvar.html)
- Gamsol (https://www.lawrence.co.uk/125ml-bottle-gamsol-gamblin.html)
- Gamvar Varnish brush (https://www.lawrence.co.uk/75mm-gamblin-gamvar-varnish-brush.html)
- Badger hair brush (http://www.royalbrushstore.com/p/lw15-4-4-inch-badger-softener-2-pc-handl)
- Brown paper napkins
- Ceramic plate
- Mixing jar
▶️ Full video (39 minutes): https://patreon.com/caveofapelles
🎵 Full audio: https://caveofapelles.com/podcast
In the full length video you will also learn about:
- How conservators varnish
- Gamvar – the best varnish
- How to mix retouch varnish & finish varnish
- Why Damar varnish is not good
- The glory of brown paper napkins
- Why matt varnish literally is GARBAGE
- Which brushes to use (also to emulate a matt varnish)
- Finish off with vertical strokes
- Should you not varnish on a cloudy day?
- What to do before varnishing
- How to clean your varnish brushes
- Paint so you do not need to varnish
- Rembrandt did not varnish his paintings?
Filmed and edited by Bork Nerdrum
SHOUTOUT to our TOP SPONSORS!
Would you like to get access to exclusive content from The School of Apelles?
✨ Become a $10 patron: https://patreon.com/caveofapelles/
Subscribe to our newsletter. It is the only way to make sure that you receive content from us on a regular basis:
Check out our other channels:
Cave of Apelles | https://bit.ly/3fBGQ1I
Culture Wars | https://bit.ly/2PkrYdq
Visit our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/caveofapelles Make sure to subscribe to our channel over at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/caveofapelles/ For inquiries — firstname.lastname@example.org