The Flaying of Marsyas by Titian | Greatest Painting of All Time?
Many things can be said about Titian’s Flaying of Marsyas, which is in the collection of the Archdiocese of Olomouc in Kromeritze. Is it the greatest painting in the world, as it has been declared by Odd Nerdrum and several of his colleagues — and if so — why?
In his twenty-minute analysis, Jan-Ove Tuv points out the technical brilliance of late Titian, and compares the painting to the master’s early work, as well as Jusepe de Ribera’s version.
In this video you will learn about:
• Toning down and pacifying areas
• Making lines “bleed” to achieve a “pulsating” line
• Activating parts that emphasize the story
• Why late Titian is superior to young Titian
• Repeating the same color to achieve unity
• Takeaways from studying this painting upside down
• Igniting movement with highlighted strokes
• Everything that is wrong with Ribera’s version
• How Titian reaches beyond Tragedy
▶️ Full video (20 minutes): https://patreon.com/caveofapelles
SHOUTOUT to our TOP SPONSORS!
Would you like to get access to exclusive content from The School of Apelles?
✨ Become a $10 patron: https://patreon.com/caveofapelles/
Subscribe to our newsletter. It is the only way to make sure that you receive content from us on a regular basis:
Check out our other channels:
Cave of Apelles | https://bit.ly/3fBGQ1I
Culture Wars | https://bit.ly/2PkrYdq
Visit our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/caveofapelles Make sure to subscribe to our channel over at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/caveofapelles/ For inquiries — email@example.com