Hjalmar Hagelstam Paints a Counterpoised Portrait of Öde Nerdrum
Jan-Ove Tuv visits Nerdrum’s studio to observe his pupil Hjalmar Hagelstam as he continues to work on a portrait of Öde Nerdrum.
In the full video you will learn about:
- Setting up the model according to what looks best
- Manipulating studio surroundings to get correct light & mood
- Pacifying and smoother transitions and liven up shadows
- Taking time to just think and observe
- Not letting things outcompete the expression
- Employing diagonal composition
- Messing things up & then improving it!
- Accepting that it takes a while to “warm up”
- Fusing a soft totality with sudden, decisive marks
- Understanding your priorities
- How the background can underline the mood
- Hjalmar’s love for Öde, the model
- Getting an expression, not just likeness
- The importance of geometry
▶️ Full video (1 hour): https://www.patreon.com/posts/hjalmar-paints-83253321
🎵 Full audio: https://caveofapelles.com/podcast
SHOUTOUT to our TOP SPONSORS!
Would you like to get access to exclusive content from The School of Apelles?
✨ Become a $10 patron: https://patreon.com/caveofapelles/
Subscribe to our newsletter. It is the only way to make sure that you receive content from us on a regular basis:
Check out our other channels:
Cave of Apelles | https://bit.ly/3fBGQ1I
Culture Wars | https://bit.ly/2PkrYdq
Visit our facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/caveofapelles Make sure to subscribe to our channel over at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/caveofapelles/ For inquiries — email@example.com